Thursday, June 1, 2017

BRIGADA ESKWELA 2017

    

    School opening is just around the corner and to prepare schools for another school year, the Department of Education launches its annual Brigada Eskwela Campaign. With the theme, “Isang DepEd, Isang Pamayanan, Isang Bayanihan Para sa Handa at Ligtas na Paaralan,” this year’s Brigada Eskwela was met with heightened participation of our community and stakeholders.
    Actually, I didn't have a lot of things to clean up in my room. I only have two wooden cabinets and a steel cabinet enough to store all my things. However, what I love about Brigada Eskwela is the chance to ask my former pupils to visit the school to help. Though they may not have that a lot of things to do, the fact that I would get the chance to see them and chitchat with them is already a teacher's pleasure.
     I was glad that my batch SY 2014-2015 came and they were quite a lot. They actually didn't do anything and we just spent the rest of the afternoon talking about their lives being in high school. 
I even treated them to the nearby 7-Eleven just to continue our chatting. 
      After that day, I was actually all set for the opening of classes. But that night, to my surprise, the principal texted me that I need to vacate my room because of the increase in our junior high school enrolment. I was totally in a denial at that time. I thought it was just a hasty decision and perhaps it might be resolved with other means. But she was serious about it and as an obedient teacher, I have nothing to do but to comply.
      I tried messaging my former pupils once again and to my surprise, they were willing to help me again. I was moved to a small room previously occupied by Grade 1 learners. The walls and the ceilings were not painted yet, the floors not waxed, not to mention the things I need to move from my old room, and I didn't know if I still would have the time before the opening of classes. 
    To make it short, with the help of my beloved pupils, I was able to pull it off. I was touched by their mere gesture of helping me even in short notice. We painted the walls, the ceilings and even posted some decorations and bulletin boards. I was very thankful for them and perhaps I questioned myself if I am worthy of their goodness. I realized that they may not be the richest kids out there, or they may have not donated me materials things for my classroom, but their time and effort mean a lot to me.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment